America Back on Course
Leland Montell of Tucson says:
I seek the office of President because the current media-anointed frontrunners do not represent the views that I perceive as most pressing to the nation and world community. I attribute this to the vast amounts of money required to compete in the electoral process and subsequent constraints imposed by their financial backers. With no such constraints, I am well positioned to make the substantive changes that will set this country aright. Because US policies represent the greatest potential for positive change in the world today, it is incumbent upon this country to take its leadership role seriously on behalf of all people, rather than abusing its position as sole superpower. I will never lie to the citizens of this country.
1) End the War and Occupation of Iraq: An orderly and decisive withdrawal shall be initiated immediately upon my inauguration. The assistance and support of nations and parties concerned with the future viability and stability of Iraq will be encouraged, including the United Nations and neighboring countries.
2) Environment: The US will take the lead in the effort to address global warming and other issues of environmental degradation that affect the health and safety of all humanity. A massive program to develop energy conservation and alternative power sources will be established with emphasis on international cooperation and economic viability.
3) International Relations: Re-establish US respect and credibility world-wide through a recommitment to institutions such as the Geneva Conventions and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the immediate closure of illegal detention facilities and the commitment to a policy of armed intervention as the absolute means of last resort. I believe that if these steps are taken, the terrorist threat to the US will be greatly reduced.
4) Universal Heath Care: The US health care system will be overhauled to establish universal coverage for all US citizens. Private healthcare providers may continue to serve those who elect not to participate in the national program.
5) Economy: Steps will be taken to encourage small businesses, stimulate competition in the market place, re-establish honor, respect, and fairness as elements of business practice and put the US dollar back on a gold standard. We will bring deficit spending under control and address the crippling effects of the national debt. Goodness only knows how!
6) Education: Higher wages for public teachers, support rather than punishment for schools falling short, and an expanded student loan program.
7) Immigration: The US economy depends upon a large number of foreign workers. As productive members of US society, these people should be allowed to remain here unmolested. However, they need to be identified and documented.